What is a problematic scalp? Your Problematic scalp can range anywhere between having itchy, dry and flaky scalp. Many people use all three of these to describe their scalp in one sentence. While all three usually go hand in hand, however, they are not all the same. The reality is that these are all unique conditions with varying symptoms, caused by different effects.
What are The Differences?
Dandruff refers to the dead skin cells that flake off of the scalp and appear around the scalp and in hair as white flakes (2,3). This usually happens when the scalp is irritated, or you are suffering from a skin condition like seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common and chronic form of eczema/dermatitis that mainly affects the sebaceous, gland-rich regions of the scalp, face, and trunk (4). Dermatologists consider dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis to be similar (2).
Dry scalp is what results when a scalp lacks oil and moisture. The oils on a scalp help condition hair and skin, however when a scalp is dry, it tends to flake off and in some cases cause irritation.
Itchy scalp, also known as scalp pruritus, is a common condition where the scalp gets incredibly itchy.
What Contributes to Their Causes?
There is a common misconception that dandruff is caused by dryness; contrary, it is usually due to an overgrowth of a harmless yeast (1, 2). Dry skin may result in an itchy scalp and flaking skin but does not always mean dandruff. Although the most common causes of scalp itch are dandruff and psoriasis. Psoriasis is a common scalp condition that causes the skin cells to grow faster than usual, thus causing a buildup of skin called plaques (3).
Dandruff can be a result of many causes which include but not limited to;
- Malassezia; a type of fungus that is found on the skin surfaces of both animals and humans and feeds on the oils of the skin
- Oily skin/scalp as may be related to Malassezia; inflamed oil glands
- Under washing; which can increase scalp oil production.
- The wrong hair products; as some hair products may contain irritants, leading to an inflamed, itchy scalp.
Dry scalp, just with dandruff, can be a result of using the wrong products for your hair. If your scalp is already prone to dryness, using products that strips more oils out of your scalp, will cause further dryness and scalp irritation. Additionally others causes of dry scalp can include; climates, skin condition such as eczema, over washing even if the right hair cleanser is used.
Itchy scalp also identified as scalp pruritus can arise from a variety of conditions including dermatologic, systemic, neurologic and psychogenic diseases (5). Scalp pruritus is most commonly associated with seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis but appears often without any noticeable skin lesion or obvious diagnosis (3,5). Additionally, itchy scalp can be a result of many other conditions such as sensitive skin, general irritation or an allergic reaction.
Get Some Relief
Scalp conditions can be relieved by some over the counter medicated treatments. However if you want the natural route you can try some DIY (Do it yourself) home remedies or try some of these natural base products below!
Our Apple Cider Vinegar shampoo is formulated with an herbal complex and tea tree essential oil to help relieve scalp issues. It detoxifies the scalp and unclog pores thus helps decrease scalp issues that arise from a variety of conditions. Additionally this shampoo ingredients helps with hair growth and retention. Apple cider vinegar is rich in vitamins and minerals that is very beneficial to the hair and scalp. However to get these benefits Apple cider must be at the right ratio when using as a hair raise or properly formulated in a final product.
Our HerbExture hair mud mask, is a rhaussoul clay and herbal base deep treatment that deeply condition the hair & scalp. Rhaussoul clay reduces dryness to the hair while also removing toxins and product buildup from the hair and scalp. It improves elasticity to the hair and aid in detangling. Additionally, the natural silica in the clay works as an exfoliant for the scalp and give hair a natural sheen.
Combine with our herbal complex, the HerbExture hair mask decreases hair shedding and helps with increasing hair growth. It increases hair manageability and moisture, a benefit that is especially great for those with dry, coarse hair and curls.
Another product we would like to add to the list is the Hydrating Botanicals Hair Refresher. It is a daily scalp & hair moisture refresher. It is is formulated with herbals and natural vitamins that sooth the scalp to decrease dryness and itchiness. It also increase hair growth and naturally boost hair shine.
- Surprising Facts About Dandruff. By Jennifer Benjamin. https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/surprising-facts-about-dandruff/
- What Is Dandruff? By Erin Archer Kelser, RN Medically Reviewed by Robert Jasmer, MD https://www.everydayhealth.com/dandruff/guide/
- Best home remedies for an itchy scalp. Medically reviewed by Gerhard Whitworth, RN on January 8, 2019 — Written by Charlotte Lillis https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324126
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis. A/Prof Amanda Oakley, Dermatologist, Hamilton, New Zealand, 1997. Latest update by Dr Jannet Gomez, October 2017. https://dermnetnz.org/topics/seborrhoeic-dermatitis/
- The Itchy scalp – scratching for an explanation. Ghada A. Bin saif, MD, Marna E. Ericson, PhD, and Gil Yosipovitch, MD. Exp Dermatol. 2011 Dec; 20(12): 959–968.
- How Rhassoul Clay May Help the Health of Your Hair and Skin. https://www.healthline.com/health/rhassoul-clay-2